Hunter has close enounter with a sasquatch, while elk hunting with family. file# 05598


Date:October 20, 2011
Klamath County county, OR
Nearest town:
Klamath Falls
Nearest road:
Highway 140
Clear and Cold
Take Hwy 140 West towards Lake of the Woods, take a right onto Fourmile Lake Road (Forest Service Road 3661), follow road straight to the lake, you will enter a campground area. Take a left at the fork and take the one way loop to your left. There will be a Double Site used for horses on your right as you top the hill. That was our campsite as well as where the encounter occured.


Description of event: The encounters occured October 18th, 19th, and 20th. My Great Uncle, Grandpa, and I were elk hunting during the first rifle season. We had a campfire most every night and stayed out by the fire till roughly 9:00 pm or so. The nights the encounters occured,the campfire died down to nothing but embers. My Uncle and Grandpa stayed in the trailer while I stayed in a tent I pitched twenty feet North of the campfire and forty feet away from the trailer. We had two mules in the corrals, and I had a blue heeler dog in the tent with me.

October 18th, 2011
After I went into the tent I had a light on for a few minutes before I went to bed. After shutting off the light, no more than ten minutes, an animal came into camp. I heard knocking and steps (though this night not very clear)and then it disappeared. I figured it for a bear (though in my mind I was doubtful) and chose not to get up and check it out. After it left I went to sleep.

October 19th, 2011
I have a very keen sense when it comes to sensing if something is present around me, whether seen or unseen. This night I and my dog Gus both senses we were being watched at the campfire. My Uncle, Grandpa, and I were sitting around the campfire talking yet the whole time I sensed we were being watched. There is a grove of trees to the south of our campsite and I feel like that was the area we were being watched from. My dog kept raising his nose to catch the sent of it, and I sensed like he was almost being "called out" to what was out there. I had a good idea what it was in my mind, but kept it private. No one else sensed it. And after bed nothing came into camp while I was awake.

October 20th, 2011
I told my Uncle about what happened on the 18th as well as what I sensed the night before. He asked me, "Is that why your dog was acting funny?" I told him yes. He believes in Bigfoot, as well as does my Grandpa. At the campfire I sensed the same thing but not as strong. I felt like he was around, in the shadows of the trees, but wasn't watching us directly. I'm unsure why. However, once they went into the trailer, I was outside for a second and sensed strongly there was something out there. As I entered the trailer, the hair on the back of my neck stood up. I knew I was being watched.

As I went to bed I grabbed my rifle and took my dog and a lantern and went into the tent. The fire was nearly out, and the trailer lights were off. I had the lantern on for a few minutes, laid my rifle on the ground next to me, and zipped up my heavy sleeping back up to my chest. I then shut the lantern off and not more than a few minutes later I heard the same consistent knocking as the other night. After a few minutes knocking (he was at the picnic table) he must have grabbed freezer paper we left that still had the seasoning from the deer steak we had that night, because he sneezed from sniffing the pepper. It was then that I knew this thing was BIG. I reached over and picked up my rifle but he heard me. He then walked past my tent into the woods West of me, but only went a short distance. He then began pounding on something very loud and hard. Pound! Pound! Pound! Pound! It lasted several minutes. As he was pounding I proceeded to unzip my sleeping bag. I unzipped very slowly as not to be heard, but it didn't work. I unzipped only when he pounded, but he heard me everytime and would stop to listen (he was no more than 80 yards away). He would go back to pounding and I would unzip, then he would stop to listen again. Finally he must have had enough because he walked directly towards my tent. He was walking in an area where there were sticks but nothing that would cause something with the feet the size of ours to break them; his broke them with every step. It was very obvious it walked on two feet (I already knew what it was by the time is sneezed but this helped to confirm it) because it broke sticks with every step. It then got out of the sticks and walked on the small green bushes (not sure what they're called but they're only maybe six inches high) and you could hear his steps on them as well. I turned and pointed my rifle and prayed God would cause him to stop, not because I was afraid, but because I really didn't want to shoot him. I would not have shot unless he showed aggression or messed with my tent physically. He was also upwind at this time and his odor came to me very plain. It was rotten eggs smell. It was very thick and strong. I froze to prevent him from hearing my movement, and he turned around and walked away (he came that close to listen to me I guess; to see if I was sleeping maybe). This whole time the mules and my dog didn't move a muscle or make a sound.

I waited for him to get a certain distance before I made a rush for the trailer. I got into the trailer and woke my Uncle up and he could also smell the odor. We shined a light towards the mules and we could see the two mules' eyes, plus a third set behind a tree and close to the ground (I don't know why it was low). He was only a few feet away from the mules and they weren't bothered. After a while I heard him walk away (you could hear him break sticks a long ways off)and we went to sleep. The odor returned twice that night. In the morning we found two footprints, several hairs recovered from the footprints as well as the freezer paper he picked up, and a three inch in diameter tree that was twisted off at ground level by the horse corral. I took pictures of the footprints and the twisted off tree, and have several hairs collected in a sandwhich bag. The hairs are generally long and curly, and they are black and white (the white ones were recovered mostly from his footprints while the black ones came mostly from the freezer papers he picked up). I have kept the pictures and the hairs.

**Interesting Observation**
1. He only came into camp as soon as the last light went out. I feel like he thinks that once the light is out people are sleeping. He seems to not realize some may still be awake.

2. He wasn't afraid to make noise. I guess he's experienced with tents and trailers before and knows most people are hard sleepers. So he must have been fairly confident no one would awake.

3. He didn't seem in the least bit afraid. And his pounding made no sense to me.

4. After my actions of the night of the 20th, he may have come into camp again, but waited much later in the night. I also slept in the trailer from that time on and the fire went out later.

I am 22 and have spent most my life in the mountains. I've seen just about every animal in the mountains and am an experiences woodsman. This is the first experience of bigfoot that I have had (at least, where I've heard and smelt him).

record updated:2011-10-27 01:03:19

Investigation by: Bill Hodgson

I have spoke to the witness on several occasion, through email and over the phone. The witnesses story is consistent and stays on track. I find the observation made by L.S, where both detailed and accurate.

I asked L.S, About the foot prints, he estimated them to be 13-14", he, found only what seemed to be clear left-footed prints. I asked L.S
about what he thought the approximate stride was between print, he estimated 4 to 5 feet between prints.

L.S also stated that the movements of the visitor was just after going to bed, almost like the visitor thought as soon as the lights we turned off, the witness and family were asleep. And, the almost nightly visits were made after turning off lanterns, and camp lights and before moon rise. All of the activity promptly ended just before the moon came up and nothing more after.

The Hairs L.S recovered were long, dense or thick. Appeared to be black and white, some of the hairs also appeared to come from the same root. He compared the hairs they found at the prints to that of the dog with them, the hairs DID NOT match.

He had also stated to me there were a times he could smell something faint, and the last visit he tried to get a look at the camp visitor. As
L.S tried to unzip his sleeping bag and get a look will the visitor was apparently hitting something, causing what we would call "wood-knocking", while the knocking was happening he tried to unzip his sleeping bag, only for the visitor to stop knocking and what L.S believed, acknowledge the zipper, the visitor then charged the tent only to stop approx. 10' from the tent. L.S was then hit by an overwhelming smell or rotten meat or eggs, dirty wet hair smell.

All of this tells me L.S had a geniune encounter. I will share the pictures of the prints and the twisted off tree taken at the sight.

Bill Hodgson Investigator

Medford, OR

I have worked for a retail store for 18+ years. I have also drove truck, and did a little work with the BLM and USFS. I have not been affiliated with any other organization, only with OBF. I have had an interested in Sasquatch for many years. I have lived in Oregon all of my life. I have a little experience in tracking wildlife and knowledge on the mountains and forests of Southern Oregon and parts of Northern California. My research has been personal, but now I want to help others understand what they have experienced.